Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What do you value

So I sit here and wonder what are people thinking and what do they value the most?

I am wondering this today because living in Corporate America people get confused on what to value and who to trust.  While going through lay-offs it became apparent in my group that people weren't sure on how to accept what was going on around them.

For ten of us, our days are numbered.  The craziest part in all of this are the reactions from those who are staying.  I guess I never experienced what survivor guilt looked like.  The ones with scheduled appointments found out that they were the ones who were being let go.  Once that realization hit, the people who knew they were safe treated the ones who weren't like we had the plague.  People no longer could look us in the eye and avoided us.  Luckily, a few of us, who have made long lasting relationships had each other to comfort and talk to. 

While going to bed last night, the reality hit me.  I was losing my job. I am now a single mother and have responsibilities that have been new to me within the last year.  At first I was a bit freaked out and then just started crying.  I had a conversation with God and thanked him for all of my blessings, mostly my family and AMAZING support of friends that I have. 

I remembered the saying "if you want to have a friend, be a friend". I stopped to look at how maybe I haven't been the best example of a friend and what I could do to improve that.  First is to be my own friend, to support and comfort myself and then offer the same to my friends, family and community.  For me, that is what life is all about.  It's not about what job I have, what my pay grade level is or who I have to throw under the bus or step on to get what I think it is that I want. 

I was disappointed in the reaction of some of the people that I thought were friends of mine.  Now I know that they are SOMETIME friends and yes, while my soul and spirit can love theirs (from a distance), I choose to not surround myself with them. Instead I choose, ANYWAY friends and family.  The ones that will love, forgive and support you ANYWAY.

I am choosing the high road because it will lead me in exactly the direction I am meant to go. In the meantime, I will remember the words from a country song I heard recently..."god is great, beer is good and people are crazy..."

No comments:

Post a Comment