Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5 Stages

Isn't it interesting that death isn't the only thing that sends us into the 5 stages of grief? I guess with any type of loss, the five stages will come.

What is interesting to me is how it shows up and how you can experience all five within minutes of each other. While we know that the only constant in life is change, it would be a good idea to become familiar with what those 5 stages are so that we can better understand our reactions and feel reassured that we aren't losing our minds.

1. Denial - "No, this hasn't really happened has it?"
2. Bargaining - "I would do what I have in order to make this not be so."
3. Anger - This one needs no explanation, but it is my hope that every human on this planet learn how to deal with anger and release it safely.
4. Depression - Constant state of sadness, loss or gain of appetite, tiredness, insomnia, loss of interest in activities or things that used to bring you joy.
5. Acceptance - Knowing that it is all going to be ok.

I simplified the stages above and more information can be found online around the five stages of grief.

When I looked at the list above, the word that stood out for me is acceptance. I think that might just be the most important of all because when we can accept whatever it is we are feeling and knowing that it is normal and that it is ok, we can move through that emotion and come out on the other side feeling just a little bit better and stronger.

If you find yourself experiencing any sort of loss, remember that any and all feelings you are having is completely normal and find someone to talk to about it.  Give yourself the space you need to take care of and comfort you and know that it really will be all OK.

1 comment: